Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thrift magic in 15 mins or less

What better way to become truly thankful for all those hot, restless nights during our heatwave than to go shopping for fall and winter jackets?

It reminds me of all those cold, rainy days that are just around the corner... so suck it up and embrace the heat.

It also gives me free reign on the coats/jackets section of Value Village because no one is even thinking about winter!!!

I've always had good luck with finding great coats while it's still warm out... I've also had luck during the first few weeks of fall weather because people are cleaning out their summer clothes in favour of warmer stuff and they almost always make a run to the thrift store with the items they don't want to wear anymore.

That's when I swoop in and find this jacket:


It's real wool too! All it needs is to be gone over with the wool shaver and it'll be like new.


This one I am convinced IS new. I'm guessing it was a gift and the brat didn't know a good thing when she had it.
It'll help "up" my cred with the teens... I need to maintain all the cred I can get.



I know, I know. It's a little steep for Value Village pricing, but then I remind myself that people spend that much on a pot of MAC eyeshadow.

Done deal.


I've been seeing these jackets in every magazine I flip through. They're always worn open, with the sleeves rolled up 3/4 length and paired with jeans. They're not the short jackets from 3 years ago, they're long in the torso (cover the bum) and the lapels extend quite far down the body. I'd like to sew in some patterned fabric on the inside of the lower sleeve (black and red stripes? perhaps) so that it shows when the sleeves are rolled up.

Bought it for the price of a venti latte.



Sometimes I refer to myself as "thrift wizzard" because I swear that I almost dream things onto the racks. I only spent 15 mins in VV because I had places to go and people to see. As I was heading to the register with my three jackets, I was day-dreaming about how cute a pair of satin shorts would look with the long sport-coat.

BAM!!!


Literally didn't stop walking and just pulled these from the rack. Only slowed down enough to hold them up to myself and eyeball if they'd fit.
Turns out they fit perfectly, AND they're brand new... still have the original tags!!!

3 comments:

  1. i have jacket envy!!! i look in the jackets section every time but never seem to have your luck.

    i did walk away with two very sweet pairs of boots today thought, so i can't really complain (except that I am, and will likely continue doing so)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh... I've got to get my ass in gear and head to Value Village before the droves scoop up all the fabulous jackets... Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete