Monday, July 19, 2010

Leaving On a Jet-Plane: The Most Uncreative Title to a Blog-Post Ever.


Post vacation BLAAAAAH'S have hit. Was in bed all day yesterday with the flu. Finally started feeling better at 11 pm so I got up and changed the sheets and did the dishes and then went back to bed. Really productive days like that help to boost my spirits. Lame.

I tried to get into my oil paints, but now I feel like I wrecked what I had. I can't stop staring at every painting, picture, plant, pattern without trying to find some sort of inspiration so that I can get it back on a path to something I like. It's just sitting there on the easel taunting me. Then people come over and see it and I get all defensive "I'm not done yet!"- as if they even care.

Guess that's the good thing about painting, or any other creative venture- it forces you to notice things around you much more than you had before... especially when you feel pressured to "fix" what you are working on. So fail=win.


Peace out North shore Mountains. Won't miss your snow.
What I realized on this trip: vegetarians get treated like royalty on planes. I've never actually pre-ordered a vegetarian meal because airlines do everything they can to avoid giving a meal on the flight. But 11 hours and no food just isn't gonna cut it, so my mom made sure that I was taken care of. Thoughtful. I got my food a good half hour before the rest of the meat-eating-chumps, so by the time they were tearing into their Sheppard's pie, I was proudly rubbing my belly and asking for tea.
We flew over Iceland. Funny that I've never been past Alberta in my own country, but I've been to the East coast of Spain. The whole 11 hour flight was sunny. Left Vancouver at 5pm on Saturday and arrived in Spain at 2pm (their time) Sunday. We chased the sun across Canada, the Atlantic and Spain. It was so weird to look at my watch at read 12:30 am and have no dark.
What I should have done was slam this thimble of free wine and try to sleep. Instead, I stayed up making friendship bracelets, for myself.
Finally by 3:30 am, I couldn't take it anymore. How the heck do you sleep on these things?!?! I've never been on a long flight. Such a rookie. I can't sleep with my legs down, so I ended up taking down the tray table and awkwardly resting my feet on that. Two hours later they were waking us up and serving lunch. I was a lost cause from that point on. I couldn't do anything but fixate on wanting to go to sleep.
Somewhere over France. Maybe I could paint this?
Monserrat ("Serrated Mountain" in Catalonia speak). It just protrudes from the rest of the land in the most surreal way. Later that week we took a tour to see the monastery that is cradled between these pillar-like rock formations. Intense.
The song that came on as we were circling the city to land. Not planned. I didn't even remember it being on the playlist. An IPOD miracle.
An hour bus ride, and about 8 tunnels through the mountains we arrived in Salou. I was so tired I nearly fell asleep face first in the mass of food I piled on my plate from the buffet. I don't know how people travel for business. I'm a total jet lag wuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment