Monday, July 27, 2009

Four Boring Nails

Went to my local thrift shop last week.

A few months ago, while scanning their "prom dress" rack, I found my too perfect Vegas Anniversary wedding dress (Scotty and I were there for our 5 year wedding anniversary and I insisted on dressing up as bride and groom and running around the streets).


I've got this boring wall. It's home to four ugly nails. I've covered it with various things, but I'm just not feeling it.


Moishee is excited to redo nail wall too.

While watching MTV's "The City"- I'm a reality TV junkie- I fell in love with Erin's picture cluster behind her couch.

It kills me to go to Home Sense and buy stuff to dress up my walls for $50/pop that I'm not gaga over.

Picture clusters sing to this girl's heart. They can be done cheap, and I'm not suck with having to choose just one thing to hang.

Picture frames are a dime a dozen at thirft shops. I find that Value Village overcharges for theirs ($2-$5/pop). The small, local shops have better frames and they're $0.25-$1.50!!!

I grabbed all these. They're wood, so I probably spray paint 'em.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking creme, black and silver...but the brown in the big one calls to me too...

I think if I made them all the same colour I'd have t have good unity- like all black and white photos, sktches and paintings... I have none of that. I adhere to the school of mish mash (some might call it eclectic).

I also pcked up this little dude.


$5.00 might seem steep, but my mom has a couple of toys that belonged to my grandpa, and this little guy reminds me of them. My grandpa was born in 1893, so I'm guess this could be pretty old.

Who can resist that creepy Joey? Not I, say the thrifter, not I.

They'll go well with Mr. Hoot

and Mr. Nuts (both of which I picked up at Coombs market this past spring).

If You're aiming for cute vintage, the small shops is where it's at.

These were $0.25 each.

And so were these.

I also swung by the jewelry counter to score some sweet treasure.



$2.00 each? You can go wrong! And, they're all the same tone (pearls come in so many different tones, and I want to wear'em multi-stranded, so I snapped 4 of them up).

Then there's these honkin' balls.


Aldo sells something similar for $8.00.

Some flamin' grandma loved these. They remind me of my nutty aunt who made something similar (it was called foil femo?)in the late 80's. I wanted a pair so bad I could taste it, but my ears weren't pierced yet, so I was left with my "stick-ons".

Who's laughing now?

4 comments:

  1. you are the best thrifter i know!
    and i agree- mishmash is sweet. if i walked into your house and saw a wall with uniform black-and-white photography in matchy matchy frames i'm not sure what i'd do. maybe cry. maybe question whether i really ever knew you. but it's okay, i know you just about as well as i thought i did.


    do you have a favorite place to thrift, or do you hit up all of them at random?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm soooooooo jealous of the kangaroo and joey..... sooooooo incredibly jealous.




    so jealous






    greeeeeeeen with envy





    sooooooo green

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a seal pup at VV last week... but then I wondered how many of them I could get away with.

    Don't want to make Ratcliffe jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have favourites, but I do like the VV in Richmond quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete