Monday, November 30, 2009

Come in for a Glass of Pink Lemonade


I love change. I thrive on change. When I was a little kid, I loved to rearrange my room to the point that it drove my mom nuts.


Now I get to drive Scotty nuts.


My entire month of September was devoted to a major clean-out of the Villa. So many trips were made to the thrift store, a ton of stuff was donated to our group home and our sister group home.


What I don't understand is that our place is still full!


For 18 days, all I did was work and rearrange/cleanout my house. Every single cupboard and drawer was reorganized.


It felt really good.


We carried furniture up and down the stairs and completely rearranged the house. Scotty didn't complain once... I did... when my finger got caught under a couch out in the driveway and my mood ring was broken.


So sad.


Here's the living room before:

All the furniture in here was grandma's. I only minimally arranged it to be livable in case she decided to come back to the Villa and live in the basement suite (so it'd look like her place and not like I took over).


October brought us a roomie (in the basement suite) which means that we're not going to be moving out any time soon, so I thought we might as well "settle in."


Here's the after:



A before shot of the window in the living room:

The after shot of the window:
A before shot of the living room from a different angle:
An after shot of basically the same angle (the doorway is just to the right).


Okay, I'm done with the "before and after". Now I'll just post some shots of the details of the "new" space.


Sweet records found at Grandma's place... too bad the turntable doesn't work! They're purely for show- we're so pretentious.
I love my little kangaroo
Boots the size of a finger... Polly Pocket ruined me. I'm a total sucker for anything small.
Grandma's house has so many great finds... these coasters slay me.
How do I make one of Grandma's lamps a little sexier? Wrap it in some black lace my dear.
Hahahaha.... the giraffe plant stick from Coombs. So ridiculous. So perfect.
Keeping the "plant-stick" theme going. My mom gave me all her house plants when she relocated. I've kept them all alive mom! Gold star by my name.
Bought this bowl at Superstore back when I was a newly wed (like 5 years ago)... later spotted the exact same bowl in Pier 1. Mine cost $18... Pier 1 cost $60... love it when that happens!

I laugh as I look at these- as I've already changed a bunch of stuff... I really can't leave things alone.

What is it about that lady? Why can a person not resist? Because she's so beautiful (and timeless at that) yet we know that behind the scenes she was a tortured soul? Who knows. Love this snapshot though. Bought it this summer in an antique shop in Coombs.
Kept the ceramic cat. Every house needs a little "crazy"... I plan on being a crazy cat lady once my husband kicks the bucket (ladies outlive the men- it's a know fact).

Ah, the imperfect Eiffel tower. The line of black eyeliner covering the huge scratch across the front is a lovely touch.... did I mention it cost me $49?


I am having a love affair with that chair. It is a grandma's house original. I fancy it a lifetime piece... something I recover about a dozen times, but the form of it is just so pleasing that I'll never get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment