Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This Would Be Lovely at Your Place

While watching designer Lynn Spence, on Cityline, put together Christmas centerpieces, one of them triggered my own creative center. Sometimes I come across ideas that I just can't let go of... even if they wouldn't quite work in my own life (weather it be fashion or decor). I mull over them and mull some more until they begin to take shape of something that would work for me.  

Obviously I need to decorate my friend's spaces too, so that I can use a wider range of ideas.  

Anyways, I have searched and searched the internet for pictures of this gorgeous centerpiece idea, because I think someone ought to use it, but have had zero luck. However, the concept was quite simple, so I'll do my best to describe it. 

Besides, it's about using the idea, not copying it exactly. 

She started with a crisp white table linen and placed assorted clear glass hurricane candle holders of varying heights and sizes (some on pedestals and others not). Then she filled them all with GREY pillar candles (brilliant and unexpected... fairly thrifty too, as grey candles in hurricanes can be used throughout the rest of the year!). Peir 1 has some really nice grey pillars, but I would check Winners and HomeSense so that you can keep that arm and leg. I've found gorgeous hurricanes in the dollar store, and they are a great investment, as they can be used for any season. 

Two or three silver metal birds/branches like these were placed amongst the hurricanes. I've seen so many like this at Value Village, but they're usually grungy gold. A coat of silver spray paint (and perhaps a topcoat of silver spray sparkles?), would make them look new again.
AMradio on Etsy  

Finally she then took dainty little vases (clear glass, white, and silver) and stuffed them full of sparkly silver twigs and sprinkled them in amongst the hurricanes.  

Simple, but gorgeous! And not so redundant. I loved that everything other than the sparkly twigs could go beyond christmas (the birds would be adorable on top of side-stacked books on a shelf or on your coffee table...as long as you didn't cover them in glitter). Mini vases (search your local thrift shop for them) could house flowers of any season (mini pink roses at valentines, daisies at Easter etc.).

Something simple and classy like this would get eaten alive in the Villa. I have no self control when it comes to colour. That combined with the seperateness of each room and the size of the place wouldn't do something like this justice. I think it'd be gorgeous in a smaller, more open setting- like an apartment/townhouse/condo. If I lived in a more modern setting, this would be my centerpiece, but you won't get competition from me in finding those metal birds in Value Village.

2 comments:

  1. ooo me likey. When I marry rich, I'm gonna hire you to decorate my place. (ps. loving all your posts lately! yahoo!)

    ReplyDelete