Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Robo Boogie

While out trick or treating, I always pick out my next years' costume. Next year I am going to go as a moth... a 60's bohemian style moth.

This year, I hunted down a couple cardboard boxes, dryer tubing, duct tape and silver spray paint and made myself one wicked "robosapien" costume.

It all started in September when I walked into a machine rental store (which also sells moving boxes) looking to buy a "book box" for the head of my robot. I bought boxes because I wanted them to be in pristine condition and I was looking for very specific sizes.

Too bad they were all sold out of the book boxes.

Over the next 15 minutes, the two mechanics ran around looking for boxes that some of their "parts" came in. I stood there trying various boxes on my head. Some were pretty dirty- covered in oil stains- others were far too shallow- more of a hat than a head, but I still put them on because I found it all so humorous. I left empty-handed that day, but I had a good laugh about it all.


Head, body and hands done. All it needs is a coat of silver spray paint. Now to make boots. I looked around for a couple shoe boxes and some bendy cardboard for the shaft of the boot.... all I came up with was these yard waste paper bags and some big chunks of sturdy cardboard.


But all covered in duct tape, and no one knows any different.


Eat your heart out Jimmy Choo.
The finished product. The motherboard featured functions such as: pinch, kick, jump, throw object. There were also "Dynamic Walking" choices like: Reverse, Crab Walk, and Emotionally Aggressive.

I even practiced my binary code... didn't get to show case it as much as I would've liked.

I carved a pumpkin of myself.
The trick or treating crew. What you can't see in the picture is that I had speakers shoved up one of my arms (the gibbled broken looking one in the shot below) and my IPOD in hand.

"Robots" by Flight of the Concords was my theme song, obviously, but there were great dance tunes pumping out of my arm the whole evening.


1 comment:

  1. you are too creative for words! Thanks for sharing your amazing costume idea! Happy November!

    ReplyDelete