Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Winter Wonder Woodland

While mulling over the gorgeous grey and silver bird-themed center piece that would be eaten alive by sheer "busy-ness" of the Villa, thus completely inappropriate for my place but so pretty, I came up with this years' (and following years') theme: winter wonder woodland.

Truth be told, I have been gathering a few items over this past year without Christmas in mind at all. There's the big black and white papasan chair I bought in Seattle over Valentines which features a pattern of trees and woodland creatures. Then there's the squirrel and owl made from grasses and pine cones that I couldn't resist at Coombs market last spring. My owl collection grew to be a little family of three this past fall and has taken up permanent residence on my bookshelf.

While I tried to find some ideas online, I couldn't find any one site that featured the ideas floating around in my head in one cohesive theme. Instead, I found some adorable decorations from an assortment of sites that, all together, begin to describe my idea.






www.liberty.co.uk


www.liberty.co.uk

I adore these little glass birds. We used to have some on our tree when I was just tiny... I love the vintage feel of them.



http://www.bronners.com/

And speaking of vintage, I'm beginning to comb the "glass figurines" section of Value Village for things like this little raccoon. So far I've found a squirrel (another purchase unrelated to this idea- bought it in the summer) and a couple ceramic toadstools.

www.etsy.com

I only wish I had the slightest clue how to make these felted acorns, but I don't so I'll have to figure out another way to make acorns as I didn't have the foresight to collect them this summer.

www.etsy.com

I love the acorns, and I love love love these little toadstools. I've already picked up some Styrofoam balls that I hope to cover with felt.

etsy at this address

Does anyone have a clue where I can buy one of these? I've yet to see them in pink sparkles. I'm a little torn about getting one though as I've seen a variety of them everywhere this year (I don't recall them last year)... I don't want to just jump on the trend bandwagon, but one like this is just so pretty.

www.heals.co.uk

Or I could go with a glittery head on my wall. I feel like this is kinda mocking all those trophy hunters out there and I like that.





www.heals.co.uk

www.target.com

Then there's this idea for the centerpiece. I like the use of colour, but I don't know if I want all that glitter. You can find the craft tutorial for it on the Martha Steward website (link is below the picture).

Tutorial on Martha Stewart website

This next Saturday will be my last one off before we jet south for Christmas... a Mele Kalikimaka to be exact. After this next weekend, it's four 84 hour work weeks until we leave, so I'll be spreading a little cheer (not the standard xmas explosion that takes 4 insomnia-filled days to set up) around my place this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Martha had someone on her show a while back (last year, maybe?) making the felt acorns, I think. Any tutorials online? I think it's pretty simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there is a tutorial... guess I gotta find it and make them!

    ReplyDelete