Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sweaty, Hot Lemonade


When life hands you lemons...

Missed the Ferry- stuck at Duke Point for 3 3/4 hours. Me, not happy. I had predicted we would be too late for the 3:15pm sailing and wanted to pull off the Island Hwy and bide our time poking around in shops.


I'm not a gambler- if there's a decent chance it won't work, I usually accept defeat and move on (turns out Scotty had wanted to get home so he could play basketball with his buddies).


As we set down our bags in the waiting area, I was seeing red.


"This is my nightmare," I grumbled... "stuck doing nothing for the next 5 hours" (I was factoring in the 2 hour ferry ride).


Scotty, sensing I might turn into a polar bear and mull him, moved a few rows ahead of me and buried his head in his textbooks.



I let out a few heavy sighs, so my frustration would be made clear (in case he hadn't noticed my red glowing eyes).


After a minute or so, I realized my sour mood wasn't gonna get me anywhere. In fact, I had very recently come across two things that had stuck with me: the first was something that Michael Buble he said while on "The Hour- with George Stomboulopolous" the previous evening. He talked about how often he has missed out on a good evening because he was too busy playing passive aggressive games with his significant other every time he got his nose out of joint. It never gets him anywhere, so he's been trying to just let things go, and in the end, he's been having a lot better time.

I am queen passive aggressive.


The other was a quote I had read on a card in "House of Leaves" while hunting for more trinkets earlier that morning:



Take care of the minutes, for the hours will take care of themselves
-Lord Chesterfield
---


I dramatically unzipped my sac and grumpily started pushing things from side to side. I yanked out my IPOD and headphones, followed by my spandex and runners... if anger was gonna be my main course for the evening, a good bum was gonna be the side dish.



All the heavy breathing caught Scotty's attention (I like to think he believed I was turning into the Incredible Hulk, and was prepared to see me in all my green glory with shredded clothing, ripping the benched from the ground). A slight smile crossed his face as he watched me doing squats under the weight of his backpack full of textbooks.


45 mins later, I finished a pretty good weight session (thanks to those textbooks). I headed outside to find some stairs to run and stumbled upon a set with a fantastic view (right on the edge of a small cliff overlooking the ocean).


 20 mins later, stairs were done and I found myself jogging along a truly gorgeous trail that snaked along the ocean, popping in and out of the forest.





Another 30 mins later, I was racing against the twilight. As darkness began to swallow the point, Nanaimo's city lights twinkled across the bay.







I returned to the terminal with only 40 mins to change out of my sweaty gear and reapply a little makeup.


I had sweated out all my toxic, passive aggressive anger- found a little adventure and took in a whole lot of beauty.


Sweaty lemonade... much better than sitting around being a crock pot of fury.







2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah Chelsea...I love your writing. I can relate to the crockpot of fury and will do my best to make some sweaty lemonade...thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete