Wednesday, January 6, 2010

At 3 pm Hawaii- Time

My dance card is up, tomorrow afternoon I will board that plane and head back for Vancouver. Back to my life.

First I must say that the Doliente's have been INCREDIBLE hosts to us. Not one day has gone by that I haven't thanked God for them. We have had the most amazing holiday with them. They have been endlessly generous, and have really made us feel so welcome.

I met Ang back in 1998 when her, Scotty, and I all met at Camp Qwanoes as CIT's. Quite a few of those camp friendships have lasted, and I am so thankful that Ang is one of those people. She has always been a girl who knows how to have a good time. I can't even begin to count the laughs I have shared with her. She's my hero because she really can hold her own with the guys. The other day we went "mountain biking" (take that title very lightly b/c it was more of a bike ride down a slight grade dirt road, but in my world it was pretty bad ass). and she not only kicked my sorry butt whilst 17 weeks pregnant (this girl has no fear), but she taught me that the foot I have in front while surfing should also be the pedal I hold to the front while screaming (coasting) down a huge (minor) hill.

She also managed to stay on her bike. I, however, tried to cross over the grassy meridian and bumped her back wheel, gave a loud scream, and tumbled right into the tall grass on the other side of the road completely breathless with laughter.

With Ang, I always know I will have a great time no matter what we do. She seeks out the adventure in the most menial things in life and makes them memorable. Being friends with her means a more flavourful life...

...And then she went and married this Hawaiian guy named Domi, who, gets along incredibly with Scotty (sometimes I swear they didn't even notice Ang and I were even there) and has all these great friends and family members in Hawaii who have totally taken us in. He also has this place in Kalihi, which I know Scotty and I will get totally "homesick" for, that he now shares with Ang and wants all their Canadian friends to come stay with them while they're here...

...tough deal.

This has really been the most unbelievable trip. So many memories made, so many laughs shared. We really struck it rich this Christmas and New Years, and I know they've played a huge part in making our lives better. I believe something has changed inside of me over these past 17 days. I have experienced God's joy, felt peace and got belly-aches from all the laughter.


Dolientes = JOY.

Then there is you.

I haven't stopped thinking about you. You've been in my thoughts and prayers this whole time. Stepping away from my life for nearly 3 weeks has allowed me to see just how blessed I am. I am blessed to call you family (whether by blood, marriage of friendship), and I know I don't see you near enough. You have played a major role in my life since I met you. I pray that our journeys will continue together for quite some time.

I believe this year will be the "year of blessing"- not that I will receive "bigger and better" blessings, but that I will come to realize just how blessed I already am. My life is unique, not like any other person's life, and God has blessed me with exactly what I need... this year I believe he will show me just how true that is.

Stepping away, just for this short while, has made me miss you... like crazy (no matter how small of a role you might believe you play in my life, yet I guarantee it's much larger than you believe).

Tomorrow I will come home feeling like the luckiest girl. I can't wait to get back to my life. I am filled with wonder, hope and joy and am feeling bathed in blessing.

The spirit is moving and I am excited.

I plan on waking up before we head to the airport and taking pictures of this crazy neighbourhood and I'll post them when I've traded in my "slippers" for boots and woollen socks and my sundresses for layers of sweaters, coats and mittens. I'll be back at the group home instead of staring at the surf... it's time.


See you on the other side!

1 comment: