Monday, January 4, 2010

2010... Here We Go.

2010 will be a BIG year. It will be the year I become a budgeting whiz: today I went to Nordstrom Rack in Honolulu and perused the racks for 40 mins and came out with NOTHING. It will be the year I learn to dance like the King of Pop: tonight I busted out my sucky moon walk and did some laps around the hotel room (until my left knee felt like it was gonna pop). It will be the year I start my portfolio: technically I didn’t do anything for it, but I thought a lot about it.


My sucky moon walk... in my defence it woulda been better had I found some woolie socks to slide on that tile.
Although, the squeek of my bare feet is a nice touch

BUDGET. DANCE. DESIGN. BUDGET. DANCE. DESIGN. BUDGET. DANCE. DESIGN.

The first one’s lame. I’m so not excited to budget, but then I have to remind myself that I will get more time to build my own life and perhaps find a little adventure.

While I dug through all the designer jeans (True Religion for $109? Yum), and flipped through all the pretty swimsuits (navy and white tie-dyed Michael Kors nearly did me in) I kept asking myself… is this worth a trip? (back to Hawaii? maybe, probably, yes). And it makes it a lot easier to go without (I don’t need nor can afford $109 jeans no matter how they make my bum look). I love clothes- always will, but I covet adventure. I need relaxation. I realize how healthy distance from your regular life can be.



Do I really need to explain my desire to dance like MJ? I figure if I start now, I should be able to bust out a few sweet moves by the end of the year, and then I should have a solid routine by the time I’m 45. I’ll use it to embarrass my kids: “if you do drugs, I will come to your school dance, clear the dance floor and do my MJ diddy for everyone… the choice is yours. Oh, and I’ll bring your Dad to sing ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat’.”

YouTube will be my dance coach.

While I’m still so in love with my job, I know working all nighters once we finally decide to have kids is unrealistic. I have a partially finished degree in Psychology, and it’s gonna stay that way. I’m not meant to be a mental health worker. God made that clear to me a few years ago, but I was stubborn and tried to power through… futile. Not one bone in me was excited.

A number of recent events have turned me on to something I am SO excited about. Last September, I finally came to the right path. To me, it was bigger than a light going off… more like a bomb. I called my mom to tell her that, once Scotty was done school, I wanted to go back to school to become an interior designer…. I was all “holy crap!” and she was like, “duh.” I got much of the same reaction from my friends. Scotty seemed somewhat relieved that I finally clued in… apparently they all knew it was the obvious career choice for me, and were just waiting for me to catch up. This all happened one week before the West Coast Interior Design show (which I went to… thanks Ashley) and three weeks before the bi-yearly interior design information session at Kwantlen (I sat in the front row…. just like the good old nerd-days in my high school math and science classes). Coincidence? I don’t believe in coincidence.

Scotty has 2 years left of school. He should be done his degree by this time next year and then will be doing his practicum. I am hoping to apply for the 2012 semester. The competition is steep: only 20 people are accepted each year, so my application, portfolio and interview have got to be good. Time to get creative.




3 comments:

  1. wooohoo!!!

    1) your moon walk is better than my moon walk. I'm not even ashamed to admit that (okay. I'm a little bit ashamed)

    2) you are wecome. Wanna go again this year?? I do!

    3) I am taking a 13 week finance course starting in Feb (it's an evening class), I'll pass on what I learn. We can be budget geeks together (from now on, I can only do free things)

    a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think you need a degree to do interior design. You have more than it takes already...style, confidence, fearlessness....just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley- I am so in for the free budgeting dates... I'm gonna need to much help... I hate saving money.

    Anon- Shucks... that's so kind, but interior design is different from interior decorating. Design involves learning a lot about building codes, architecture etc. That's why it's such a long course! But I'm glad people believe in me. I'll post some of my sketches... they really suck (never sketched before in my life)

    ReplyDelete